The Husqvarna 246 is a gas-powered chainsaw that is often considered a professional-grade tool due to its power and cutting capacity. With a range of advanced features such as an ergonomic design and easy-to-maintain components, the Husqvarna 246 is a popular choice for homeowners and professionals alike. While its maximum bar length is 20 inches, it is capable of felling trees of varying sizes and is also a popular choice for cutting firewood. However, if the Husqvarna 246 isn’t quite what you’re looking for, there are several alternatives on the market that offer similar power and features. Ultimately, the best chainsaw for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences, so be sure to do your research and compare specifications before making your decision.
Husqvarna 246 Versions
There are a few different versions of the Husqvarna 246 chainsaw that have been produced over the years. Here are some of the notable variations:
- Husqvarna 246XP – This version of the chainsaw was introduced in the 1980s and was designed for professional use. It featured a more powerful engine than the standard 246, delivering up to 4.3 horsepower. The 246XP also had a larger fuel tank and a redesigned air filter system for improved performance.
- Husqvarna 246R – This version of the chainsaw was designed for clearing brush and other vegetation. It featured a shorter bar and a more compact design, making it easier to maneuver in tight spaces. The 246R also had a special guard to protect the operator from flying debris.
- Husqvarna 246G – This version of the chainsaw was designed for use in the construction industry. It featured a longer bar and a more powerful engine, making it suitable for cutting large beams and other construction materials. The 246G also had a special oiling system that kept the chain lubricated even during heavy use.
- Husqvarna 246L – This version of the chainsaw was designed for landscaping and tree maintenance. It featured a lightweight design and a shorter bar, making it easier to handle in tight spaces. The 246L also had a special anti-vibration system that reduced operator fatigue during extended use.
- Husqvarna 246LDX – This version of the chainsaw was designed for multi-purpose use, featuring a detachable shaft that could be used for a variety of tasks. The 246LDX could be used as a chainsaw, hedge trimmer, pole saw, or edger, making it a versatile tool for homeowners and professionals alike.
Each of these versions of the Husqvarna 246 chainsaw was designed for a specific use case, with features and specifications tailored to the task at hand. Regardless of which version you choose, however, you can expect reliable performance and durable construction from this iconic chainsaw.
Husqvarna 246 Features
The Husqvarna 246 chainsaw is a reliable and powerful tool that has been a popular choice for both homeowners and professionals for decades. Here are some of the key features that make the 246 such a versatile and effective chainsaw:
- Ergonomic design – The 246 features an ergonomic design that is comfortable to hold and easy to maneuver. The handles are designed to reduce operator fatigue, allowing you to work for longer periods without discomfort.
- Automatic oiling system – The 246 comes with an automatic oiling system that lubricates the chain as you work, helping to reduce friction and extend the life of the chain.
- Anti-vibration system – The 246 is designed to reduce operator fatigue with an anti-vibration system that minimizes the amount of vibration that is transferred to your hands and arms. This makes it easier to work for longer periods without experiencing discomfort or strain.
- Easy starting – The 246 features an easy-to-use starting system that allows you to quickly and easily get the chainsaw up and running.
- Versatility – Depending on the specific version, the 246 can be used for a wide range of tasks, from cutting down trees and branches to clearing brush and maintaining landscaping.
- Durability – Husqvarna is known for producing high-quality, durable tools, and the 246 is no exception. With proper maintenance and care, the 246 can last for years, even with heavy use.
- Safety features – The 246 is equipped with a range of safety features, including a chain brake that stops the chain from spinning in the event of kickback or other accidents.
The Husqvarna 246 is a reliable, powerful, and versatile chainsaw that is well-suited for a wide range of tasks. Whether you’re a professional landscaper or a homeowner looking to tackle some DIY projects, the 246 is a tool that you can count on to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Husqvarna 246 Specs
Here is a table of the specifications for each of the models of the Husqvarna 246 chainsaw:
|Specification||Husqvarna 246XP||Husqvarna 246R||Husqvarna 246G||Husqvarna 246L||Husqvarna 246LDX|
|Power output||3.2 hp||3.2 hp||3.2 hp||2.5 hp||2.5 hp|
|Bar length||16-20 inches||14-16 inches||20-24 inches||14-16 inches||12-14 inches|
|Fuel tank capacity||1.2 pints||0.8 pints||1.2 pints||0.8 pints||0.8 pints|
|Oil tank capacity||0.6 pints||0.3 pints||0.6 pints||0.3 pints||0.3 pints|
|Weight||12-14 lbs.||11-12 lbs.||13-15 lbs.||10-11 lbs.||13-14 lbs.|
|Chain pitch||3/8 inch||3/8 inch||3/8 inch||3/8 inch||3/8 inch|
|Chain gauge||0.050 inch||0.050 inch||0.050 inch||0.050 inch||0.050 inch|
|Recommended bar length||16-20 inches||14-16 inches||20-24 inches||14-16 inches||12-14 inches|
|Sound level||105 dB(A)||102 dB(A)||105 dB(A)||101 dB(A)||100 dB(A)|
It’s worth noting that these specifications may vary slightly depending on the specific model and year of production. Additionally, some models may have additional features or modifications not listed here.
Husqvarna 246 Price
The price of a Husqvarna 246 chainsaw can vary depending on several factors, such as the specific model, the features it includes, and the retailer selling it. Generally, the price for a new Husqvarna 246 chainsaw can range from around $400 to $800, with the higher end of the range typically being for professional-grade models with larger bar lengths and more advanced features.
However, it’s worth noting that prices may also vary depending on the location and availability of the chainsaw. Additionally, prices for used or refurbished models may be lower than those for brand-new models.
As always, it’s important to do your research and compare prices from multiple retailers before making a purchase to ensure that you are getting the best value for your money.
Husqvarna 246 Review
Overall, users tend to have positive things to say about the Husqvarna 246 chainsaw. Here are some of the common comments and feedback from users:
- Power – Many users praise the Husqvarna 246 for its power and ability to handle tough jobs. It’s been noted that the chainsaw is capable of cutting through large trees and dense brush with ease.
- Durability – Several users mention that the Husqvarna 246 is a very durable and long-lasting tool. With proper maintenance, some users have reported using the chainsaw for several years without any major issues.
- Reliability – Users also appreciate that the Husqvarna 246 is a very reliable tool that starts easily and performs consistently, even in challenging conditions.
- Comfort – Many users note that the ergonomic design of the Husqvarna 246 makes it comfortable to use for extended periods of time. The anti-vibration system is particularly praised for reducing operator fatigue.
- Price – While the price of the Husqvarna 246 can be higher than some other chainsaws on the market, many users feel that the tool is worth the investment due to its power, durability, and reliability.
Some users do have complaints about the Husqvarna 246, however. Common issues include difficulty starting the chainsaw and occasional oil leaks. Additionally, some users feel that the chainsaw can be heavy and unwieldy, particularly for those who are not used to using such powerful tools.
The Husqvarna 246 appears to be a popular choice for both homeowners and professionals looking for a reliable and powerful chainsaw.
Husqvarna 246 Alternatives
If you’re in the market for a chainsaw and the Husqvarna 246 isn’t quite what you’re looking for, there are several alternatives you might consider. Here are a few options to consider:
- Stihl MS 261 – The Stihl MS 261 is a professional-grade chainsaw that offers similar power and cutting capacity to the Husqvarna 246. It features a range of advanced features such as an easy-to-use decompression valve and an adjustable oil pump.
- Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf – The Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf is a powerful and versatile chainsaw that is often compared to the Husqvarna 246. It features a high-performance engine, easy-to-use controls, and a range of safety features to help ensure safe and efficient operation.
- Poulan Pro PR5020 – If you’re looking for a more affordable option than the Husqvarna 246, the Poulan Pro PR5020 may be worth considering. While it’s not as powerful as some other options on the market, it offers a solid balance of cutting capacity, durability, and affordability.
- Makita XCU03PT1 – For those looking for a cordless chainsaw, the Makita XCU03PT1 is a popular choice. It features a powerful battery that can provide up to 250 cuts per charge, and its lightweight design makes it easy to maneuver and use for extended periods of time.
The best chainsaw for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Consider factors such as power, cutting capacity, durability, and price when making your decision, and be sure to read reviews and compare specifications to find the right tool for the job.
Husqvarna 246 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the Husqvarna 246 chainsaw:
What is the maximum bar length for the Husqvarna 246?
The maximum recommended bar length for the Husqvarna 246 is 20 inches.
Is the Husqvarna 246 a professional-grade chainsaw?
Yes, the Husqvarna 246 is often considered a professional-grade chainsaw due to its power and cutting capacity. However, it is also suitable for use by homeowners with extensive cutting needs.
What type of fuel does the Husqvarna 246 use?
The Husqvarna 246 is a gas-powered chainsaw that requires a mixture of gasoline and oil. The manufacturer recommends a mixture of 50:1 gasoline to oil ratio.
How heavy is the Husqvarna 246?
The weight of the Husqvarna 246 can vary depending on the specific model and features, but it generally ranges from around 11 to 14 pounds.
Does the Husqvarna 246 come with a warranty?
Yes, the Husqvarna 246 comes with a manufacturer’s warranty that covers defects in materials and workmanship for a specified period of time. The length of the warranty can vary depending on the model and the retailer selling the chainsaw.
Can the Husqvarna 246 be used for felling trees?
Yes, the Husqvarna 246 is a powerful chainsaw that is capable of felling trees of varying sizes. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions and use the chainsaw in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Can the Husqvarna 246 be used for cutting firewood?
Yes, the Husqvarna 246 is a popular choice for cutting firewood due to its power and cutting capacity. Its lightweight design and ergonomic features also make it comfortable to use for extended periods of time.
Is the Husqvarna 246 easy to maintain?
Yes, the Husqvarna 246 is designed to be easy to maintain, with features such as a quick-release air filter and a toolless chain tensioning system. Additionally, the manufacturer provides detailed instructions for maintenance and care in the user manual.