In the world of professional-grade chainsaws, few names hold as much weight as Husqvarna. With a history spanning over three centuries, this Swedish powerhouse has consistently delivered top-quality outdoor power equipment. Among its impressive lineup, the Husqvarna 261 chainsaw is a true standout, offering unparalleled performance and durability. In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the various aspects of the Husqvarna 261 chainsaw, from its different versions to user reviews, pricing, and alternatives.
The Husqvarna 261 chainsaw was available in several versions to cater to different user needs and preferences. However, it’s essential to note that product lines can evolve, and new versions may have been introduced since then. Here are some of the key versions that were available:
- Husqvarna 261 Classic – The standard version of the Husqvarna 261, is known for its exceptional power, ergonomic design, and reliability. This model was favored by professional loggers for its robust build and consistent performance.
- Husqvarna 261 XP – This version is designed for even more demanding tasks. It typically comes with a more powerful engine and advanced features, making it suitable for professional loggers who tackle heavy-duty cutting jobs regularly.
- Husqvarna 261 C-M – Some versions may come with a “C-M” designation, indicating additional features like Husqvarna’s AutoTune technology. AutoTune adjusts the engine settings in real time for optimal performance, reducing fuel consumption and emissions while maintaining power.
- Husqvarna 261 EPA – In compliance with environmental regulations, some versions may carry an EPA designation, indicating that they meet emissions standards set by the Environmental Protection Agency. These models are designed to be more eco-friendly.
Please check with your local Husqvarna dealer or the manufacturer’s website for the most up-to-date information on available versions, as the product lineup may have evolved since my last update.
The Husqvarna 261 chainsaw boasts a wide range of features that set it apart from the competition. While we won’t dive into specific technical specifications here (we’ll cover those in the next section), let’s explore some of the key features that make this chainsaw a top choice for professionals:
- X-Torq Engine Technology: The Husqvarna 261 is equipped with the X-Torq engine, which delivers excellent power while reducing emissions and fuel consumption. This technology ensures that you get the job done efficiently while minimizing environmental impact.
- LowVib System: This innovative system reduces vibrations, providing better comfort and control during extended use. It helps reduce operator fatigue, making it ideal for prolonged cutting tasks.
- Air Injection: The chainsaw features an air injection system that removes larger dust and debris particles before reaching the air filter. This extends the lifespan of the filter and ensures consistent engine performance.
- Adjustable Oil Pump: Users can adjust the oil flow to the chain and bar, allowing for customized lubrication based on the cutting conditions. This feature helps maintain optimal chain performance and reduces wear.
- Smart Start: The Smart Start system makes starting the chainsaw easier, requiring less effort and reducing the risk of engine flooding. This is especially valuable in cold conditions or when starting the chainsaw frequently.
- Chain Brake: Safety is paramount when using a chainsaw. The Husqvarna 261 is equipped with a chain brake that stops the chain in milliseconds if kickback occurs, helping prevent accidents.
- Ergonomic Design: The chainsaw is designed with user comfort in mind, featuring an ergonomic handle and controls that are easy to reach and operate. This ensures a comfortable and efficient cutting experience.
Now, let’s get into the nitty-gritty details by examining the technical specifications of the Husqvarna 261 in both imperial and metric units.
Below is a comprehensive table detailing the specifications of the Husqvarna 261 chainsaw, including imperial and metric units for your reference:
|Maximum Speed (no load)
|Fuel Tank Volume
|2.1 pints (US)
|Oil Tank Volume
|0.57 pints (US)
|Bar Length Options
|18 inches, 20 inches, 24 inches
|45 cm, 50 cm, 60 cm
|Chain Pitch Options
|3/8 inch, .325 inch
|9.5 mm, 8.25 mm
|Weight (without cutting equipment)
|13.4 lbs (US)
These specifications provide a clear picture of the Husqvarna 261’s power, fuel capacity, and cutting capabilities, allowing you to choose the right model for your specific needs.
Pricing for the Husqvarna 261 chainsaw can vary widely depending on the version, location, and any ongoing promotions or discounts. The price range for the Husqvarna 261 was typically between $550 and $750 USD for the standard model. However, keep in mind that prices may have changed since then, and different versions of the chainsaw may have different price points.
For the most accurate and up-to-date pricing information, it’s recommended to visit the official Husqvarna website or contact authorized Husqvarna dealers in your area. They can provide you with current pricing details and any special offers that may be available.
To gain a deeper understanding of the Husqvarna 261 chainsaw’s performance and user satisfaction, let’s take a look at what some users have had to say about this powerful tool:
- Exceptional Power: Many users praise the Husqvarna 261 for its impressive cutting power. It effortlessly tackles large trees and dense hardwoods.
- Durability: Users report that this chainsaw is built to last. Its robust construction and high-quality materials contribute to its longevity.
- Low Vibrations: The LowVib system lives up to its promise, reducing vibrations significantly. Operators appreciate the reduced fatigue during long cutting sessions.
- Easy Starting: The Smart Start system is a favorite feature among users, making it simple to start the chainsaw even in challenging conditions.
- Maintenance-Friendly: Users find the chainsaw easy to maintain, thanks to features like the adjustable oil pump and the accessible air filter.
- Price: Some users note that the Husqvarna 261 can be relatively expensive compared to other chainsaws in its class. However, they argue that the investment is worth it for the quality and performance.
- Weight: Due to its powerful engine and robust build, the chainsaw may be on the heavier side for some users. However, this is often seen as a trade-off for the cutting power it delivers.
- Noise: As with most gas-powered chainsaws, the Husqvarna 261 can be noisy. Users recommend using hearing protection when operating the saw for extended periods.
It’s important to remember that user experiences can vary based on factors like maintenance, skill level, and the specific tasks the chainsaw is used for. Always follow safety guidelines and manufacturer recommendations when operating any chainsaw.
While the Husqvarna 261 is undoubtedly a top-tier chainsaw, there are several alternatives on the market that cater to different needs and budgets. Here are a few notable alternatives to consider:
- STIHL MS 291 – Stihl is another reputable chainsaw manufacturer, and the MS 291 is known for its reliability and power. It’s a good alternative if you’re looking for a professional-grade chainsaw.
- Echo CS-590 – The Echo CS-590 is a powerful and versatile chainsaw that comes at a more budget-friendly price point. It’s a favorite among homeowners and DIY enthusiasts.
- Makita EA6100P53G – Makita is known for its high-quality power tools, and the EA6100P53G chainsaw is no exception. It offers a good balance of power and portability.
- Oregon CS1500 – If you prefer an electric chainsaw, the Oregon CS1500 is a corded option that delivers consistent power and eliminates the need for gas and oil mixing.
- Husqvarna 455 Rancher – If you’re a fan of Husqvarna but want a more budget-friendly option, the 455 Rancher is worth considering. It’s a reliable and powerful chainsaw for less demanding tasks.
When choosing an alternative, be sure to assess your specific needs, such as the type of cutting tasks you’ll be performing, your budget, and your experience level. Additionally, it’s a good idea to read user reviews and seek advice from experts or local dealers to make an informed decision.
The Husqvarna 261 chainsaw is a force to be reckoned with in the world of outdoor power equipment. With its exceptional power, durability, and a host of innovative features, it’s no wonder that this chainsaw is a favorite among professionals and serious enthusiasts. While the price tag may be on the higher side, the investment in quality and performance is well worth it for those who demand the best from their equipment.
Whether you’re a seasoned logger or a homeowner tackling occasional tree maintenance, the Husqvarna 261 has proven itself to be a reliable and powerful tool. As always, prioritize safety when operating any chainsaw, and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for maintenance and care.
In the ever-evolving world of outdoor power equipment, Husqvarna continues to set the standard for excellence, and the Husqvarna 261 chainsaw is a shining example of their commitment to quality and innovation.
Is the Husqvarna 261 suitable for beginners?
The Husqvarna 261 is a professional-grade chainsaw primarily designed for experienced users and professionals. If you’re a beginner, it’s advisable to start with a smaller, more user-friendly chainsaw and gain experience before handling a powerful tool like the 261.
Can I use the Husqvarna 261 for felling large trees?
Yes, the Husqvarna 261 is well-suited for felling large trees thanks to its high power output and various bar length options. However, it’s crucial to have the necessary skills and safety equipment, and in some cases, local regulations may apply to tree felling.
How often should I perform maintenance on the Husqvarna 261?
Regular maintenance is essential to keep the chainsaw in optimal condition. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations outlined in the user manual. Generally, this includes cleaning the air filter, sharpening the chain, and checking for loose bolts and components after each use.
Does the Husqvarna 261 come with a warranty?
Husqvarna typically offers a limited warranty for its chainsaws. The warranty terms may vary by region and model, so it’s important to check the warranty details provided by the manufacturer or authorized dealers.
Can I use ethanol-blended fuels in the Husqvarna 261?
Husqvarna recommends using non-ethanol, high-quality gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 89 (RON). Ethanol-blended fuels can be used if they contain no more than 10% ethanol (E10). Always refer to the user manual for specific fuel requirements and mix ratios.