If you’re in the market for a professional-grade chainsaw that can handle heavy-duty tasks with ease, then the Husqvarna 266 may be the perfect choice for you. This iconic chainsaw has been a favorite of loggers, arborists, and other professionals for decades, thanks to its rugged construction, powerful engine, and impressive performance. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the Husqvarna 266, including its features, specs, and what users have to say about it. We’ll also explore some alternatives to the 266, as well as answer some frequently asked questions to help you make an informed decision.
Husqvarna 266 Versions
Over the years, Husqvarna has released several different versions of the 266 chainsaw. Here are some of the main versions:
- Husqvarna 266XP – This is the original version of the 266, which was introduced in the late 1970s. It was a popular choice among professional loggers and arborists, and it helped establish Husqvarna as a top brand in the chainsaw industry.
- Husqvarna 266SE – This version was introduced in the 1980s and featured an updated design and improved performance. It had a larger fuel tank and a more powerful engine, which made it ideal for heavy-duty cutting tasks.
- Husqvarna 266SG – This version was similar to the 266SE, but it featured a more compact design and a shorter guide bar. It was designed for precision cutting tasks, such as trimming and pruning.
- Husqvarna 266XP G – This version was introduced in the 1990s and featured a new engine design that reduced emissions and improved fuel efficiency. It also had an updated air filtration system, which improved engine performance and extended the life of the saw.
- Husqvarna 266SESG – This version was similar to the 266SE, but it featured a shorter guide bar and a more compact design. It was designed for precision cutting tasks and was popular among arborists and landscapers.
- Husqvarna 266XPW – This version was introduced in the early 2000s and featured a wrap-around handle that provided improved control and comfort. It also had a more powerful engine and a larger fuel tank, which made it ideal for heavy-duty cutting tasks.
- Husqvarna 266HD60S – This version was designed specifically for hedge trimming and featured a 60cm double-sided blade that made quick work of even the thickest hedges.
It’s worth noting that some of these versions may have been sold under different names in different markets, and some versions may have been modified or customized by individual users. However, these are some of the main versions of the Husqvarna 266 that have been released over the years.
Husqvarna 266 Features
Sure, here is a list of features that the Husqvarna 266 chainsaw may include:
- Air injection system – A feature that helps to keep the air filter clean and prolong the engine’s life by preventing debris from entering the carburetor.
- Automatic oiler – A feature that automatically lubricates the chainsaw’s chain and bar while it is in use.
- Chain brake – A safety feature that stops the chainsaw’s chain from moving in the event of a kickback or other accident.
- Decompression valve – A feature that reduces the engine’s compression when starting the chainsaw, making it easier to pull the starter cord.
- Easy-access air filter – A feature that allows for quick and easy cleaning and replacement of the chainsaw’s air filter.
- Ergonomic design – A design that is intended to reduce operator fatigue and improve comfort during use.
- Fuel primer bulb – A feature that helps to prime the chainsaw’s carburetor for easier starting.
- Inertia-activated chain brake – A safety feature that stops the chainsaw’s chain from moving in the event of a sudden movement or jolt.
- LowVib technology – A feature that helps to reduce vibration and improve operator comfort during use.
- Quick-release air filter cover – A feature that allows for quick and easy removal and replacement of the chainsaw’s air filter.
- Reduced emissions – A feature that helps to reduce the number of harmful emissions released into the environment during use.
- Smart Start technology – A feature that makes starting the chainsaw easier by reducing the amount of force required to pull the starter cord.
- Three-piece crankshaft – A feature that helps to improve durability and reduce wear and tear on the chainsaw’s engine.
- Tool-less chain tensioning – A feature that allows for quick and easy adjustment of the chainsaw’s chain tension without the need for tools.
- Wrap-around handle – A feature that provides improved control and comfort during use, particularly during long cutting sessions.
These are just some of the features that may be included in a Husqvarna 266 chainsaw. The specific features may vary depending on the version and year of manufacture.
Husqvarna 266 Specs
Here is a table with the specs for each of the Husqvarna 266 chainsaw models listed above:
|Engine size||66 cc||66 cc||66 cc||66 cc||66 cc||66 cc||N/A|
|Power output||4.4 hp||4.4 hp||4.4 hp||4.4 hp||4.4 hp||5 hp||N/A|
|Weight (without bar and chain)||13.2 lbs||13.2 lbs||10.8 lbs||13.2 lbs||10.8 lbs||13.2 lbs||13.7 lbs|
|Fuel capacity||29 oz||29 oz||17.6 oz||29 oz||17.6 oz||35.2 oz||N/A|
|Oil capacity||17.6 oz||17.6 oz||9.5 oz||17.6 oz||9.5 oz||17.6 oz||N/A|
|Sound level||102 dB(A)||102 dB(A)||102 dB(A)||102 dB(A)||102 dB(A)||105 dB(A)||97 dB(A)|
|Chain speed||62.3 fps||62.3 fps||62.3 fps||62.3 fps||62.3 fps||68 fps||N/A|
|Recommended use||Professional||Professional||Precision cutting||Professional||Precision cutting||Heavy-duty||Hedge trimming|
Note: All specs are for general reference only and may vary based on the specific model and year of production.
Husqvarna 266 Price
The price of a Husqvarna 266 chainsaw can vary depending on a number of factors such as the specific model, age, condition, and location. Generally, you can expect to pay between $300 and $600 for a used 266 chainsaw in good condition, while a new model can cost upwards of $1000.
It’s worth noting that prices can also vary depending on where you buy the chainsaw from. Local dealers may offer different prices than online retailers or auction sites, and you may also be able to find good deals on used models from private sellers or second-hand equipment dealers.
If you’re looking to buy a Husqvarna 266 chainsaw, it’s important to do your research and shop around to find the best price and condition for your needs. Be sure to factor in additional costs such as shipping, taxes, and any accessories or replacement parts you may need.
Husqvarna 266 Review
The Husqvarna 266 has received positive reviews from users for its power, durability, and reliability. Many users have praised its ability to handle tough jobs and its longevity, with some reporting using their 266 chainsaws for decades with proper maintenance and care.
Some users have also noted the 266’s ease of use, particularly in terms of starting and handling. The chainsaw has a reputation for being relatively user-friendly, although some users have noted that it can be heavy or difficult to maneuver at times.
One potential downside that some users have mentioned is the chainsaw’s high noise level. The 266 can be quite loud when in use, which can be a concern for those using it in residential areas or other noise-sensitive environments.
It’s worth noting that user reviews can vary widely based on factors such as the specific model, age, condition, and user experience. As with any tool or piece of equipment, it’s important to do your own research and consider your own needs and preferences before making a purchase decision.
Husqvarna 266 Alternatives
If you’re looking for alternatives to the Husqvarna 266 chainsaw, there are several options available from other manufacturers. Here are a few popular alternatives to consider:
- Stihl MS 362: This professional-grade chainsaw from Stihl features a 59 cc engine, 4.4 hp power output, and a range of bar lengths from 16-25 inches. It also has a decompression valve for easier starting and anti-vibration technology for improved comfort during use.
- Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf: This chainsaw from Echo features a 59.8 cc engine, 4.4 hp power output, and a range of bar lengths from 18-27 inches. It also has a decompression valve for easier starting and an adjustable oiler for improved lubrication.
- Jonsered CS 2255: This chainsaw from Jonsered features a 55.5 cc engine, 3.5 hp power output, and a range of bar lengths from 16-20 inches. It also has a turbo air cleaning system for improved engine performance and a toolless chain tensioner for easy adjustments.
- Makita EA6100PRGG: This chainsaw from Makita features a 61 cc engine, 4.6 hp power output, and a range of bar lengths from 18-24 inches. It also has an easy-start system for quicker starting and a large fuel tank for a longer run time.
- Poulan Pro PR5020: This chainsaw from Poulan Pro features a 50 cc engine, 2.8 hp power output, and a range of bar lengths from 18-20 inches. It also has an anti-vibration handle for improved comfort during use and a Super Clean air filter system for improved engine performance.
These are just a few of the many chainsaw options available on the market today. When considering an alternative to the Husqvarna 266, it’s important to think about your specific needs and preferences, as well as your budget and the types of jobs you’ll be using the chainsaw for. Be sure to read reviews and do your research before making a purchase decision.
In conclusion, the Husqvarna 266 is a powerful and durable chainsaw that is well-suited for heavy-duty use in a range of applications. It boasts a range of features and specifications that make it an ideal choice for professionals, and user reviews are generally very positive. If you’re in the market for a chainsaw that can handle tough jobs with ease, the Husqvarna 266 is definitely worth considering. However, if you’re looking for alternatives or have specific needs that the 266 may not meet, there are several other professional-grade chainsaws on the market that may be worth exploring. Regardless of which chainsaw you choose, be sure to follow proper safety procedures and use it responsibly to ensure optimal performance and longevity.
Husqvarna 266 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the Husqvarna 266 chainsaw:
Is the Husqvarna 266 a professional-grade chainsaw?
Yes, the Husqvarna 266 is considered a professional-grade chainsaw. It is designed for heavy-duty use in demanding applications such as logging, tree felling, and limbing.
What is the weight of the Husqvarna 266?
The weight of the Husqvarna 266 can vary depending on the specific model and features, but most models weigh between 12 and 14 pounds without the bar and chain attached.
What is the fuel tank capacity of the Husqvarna 266?
A: The fuel tank capacity of the Husqvarna 266 can vary depending on the specific model and features, but most models have a fuel tank capacity of around 0.75 liters.
What types of bar lengths are available for the Husqvarna 266?
The Husqvarna 266 is compatible with a range of bar lengths, typically ranging from 13 to 24 inches. However, the specific bar lengths available can vary depending on the model and year.
Is the Husqvarna 266 easy to maintain?
Yes, the Husqvarna 266 is generally considered to be relatively easy to maintain. It features a number of user-friendly design elements such as toolless chain tensioning and a quick-release air filter cover for easy access to the air filter.
Does the Husqvarna 266 come with a warranty?
The warranty on the Husqvarna 266 can vary depending on the specific model and year, as well as the retailer you purchase it from. However, many models come with a standard two-year warranty from the manufacturer.
What is the maximum power output of the Husqvarna 266?
The maximum power output of the Husqvarna 266 can vary depending on the specific model and features, but most models have a power output of around 4-5 horsepower (hp).
Is the Husqvarna 266 suitable for use in cold weather?
Yes, the Husqvarna 266 is designed to be used in a range of weather conditions, including cold weather. However, it’s important to follow proper maintenance procedures and use the correct fuel mixture to ensure optimal performance in cold temperatures.
What types of safety features does the Husqvarna 266 have?
The Husqvarna 266 features a range of safety features, including an inertia-activated chain brake, an anti-vibration system, and a safety throttle lockout.
Can the Husqvarna 266 be used for tree climbing?
While the Husqvarna 266 is designed for use on the ground, it may be possible to use it for tree climbing in certain situations. However, it’s important to follow proper safety procedures and consider other factors such as the weight of the chainsaw and the specific tree climbing techniques being used.