When it comes to professional-grade chainsaws, the name Husqvarna stands tall as a symbol of power, reliability, and innovation. Among their impressive lineup of chainsaws, the Husqvarna 272 XP holds a special place. Designed for heavy-duty tasks, this chainsaw has been a go-to choice for arborists, loggers, and homeowners alike. In this comprehensive review, we’ll dive deep into the world of the Husqvarna 272 XP, exploring its different versions, features, specifications, price, user reviews, alternatives, and conclude with some frequently asked questions.
The Husqvarna 272 XP was available in several versions, each catering to specific needs and preferences. It’s important to note that product lines and models may have evolved since then. Some notable variations included:
- Husqvarna 272 XP – The base model known for its impressive power and durability.
- Husqvarna 272 XP G – Featuring a heated handle, ideal for cold weather operation.
- Husqvarna 272 XP E – Equipped with electronic ignition for improved performance.
- Husqvarna 272 XP TrioBrake – Featuring Husqvarna’s TrioBrake system for enhanced safety.
It’s essential to check with your local Husqvarna dealer or their official website for the most up-to-date information on available models and variations.
The Husqvarna 272 XP is revered for its robust set of features that make it a formidable tool in the hands of professionals and serious DIY enthusiasts. While we will delve into the specifications in a dedicated table, let’s explore some of its standout features:
- X-Torq Engine Technology: The 272 XP boasts Husqvarna’s innovative X-Torq engine, which delivers high torque over a broad RPM range while reducing emissions and fuel consumption. This not only makes it more environmentally friendly but also cost-effective to operate.
- LowVib Vibration Damping: Working with chainsaws for extended periods can be physically demanding, but the LowVib system minimizes vibrations, reducing operator fatigue and ensuring more comfortable use.
- Air Injection: The air injection system removes larger dust and debris particles before they reach the air filter, extending the lifespan of the filter and reducing maintenance intervals.
- Quick-release Air Filter: Maintenance is a breeze with the quick-release air filter, making it easy to clean or replace the filter, ensuring optimal engine performance.
- Adjustable Oil Pump: The adjustable oil pump allows you to control the flow of chain lubrication, optimizing it for different tasks and prolonging the life of the chain.
- Ergonomic Design: The 272 XP features an ergonomic design with a comfortable handle and well-balanced weight distribution, enhancing control and maneuverability.
- Centrifugal Air Cleaning System: This system removes larger dust and debris particles before they reach the air filter, ensuring cleaner air intake and longer engine life.
Let’s take a closer look at the specifications of the Husqvarna 272 XP chainsaw. Below is a table that lists key specs in both imperial and metric units:
|Specification||Imperial (US Units)||Metric Units|
|Engine Displacement||72.2 cc||4.4 cu.in|
|Power Output||5.3 hp||3.9 kW|
|Weight (without bar)||13.4 lbs||6.1 kg|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||1.2 US pints||0.57 liters|
|Oil Tank Capacity||0.7 US pints||0.33 liters|
|Chain Pitch||3/8 inch||9.5 mm|
|Guide Bar Length||15 – 28 inches||38 – 71 cm|
Please note that these specifications can vary slightly among different versions and may have been updated in newer models.
The Husqvarna 272 XP chainsaw typically ranged in price from $599 to $799 USD, depending on the specific version, accessories, and the retailer’s pricing policies. Prices may vary over time and between different regions, so it’s advisable to check with authorized Husqvarna dealers or their official website for the most accurate and up-to-date pricing information.
To get a sense of how the Husqvarna 272 XP performs in real-world scenarios, let’s take a look at what users have been saying about this chainsaw:
- Performance: Many users praise the 272 XP for its outstanding power and cutting performance. It’s often regarded as a reliable workhorse for various cutting tasks, including felling trees and bucking logs.
- Durability: Users have reported that this chainsaw is built to last. Its sturdy construction and high-quality components contribute to its longevity, making it a solid investment for professionals.
- Ease of Use: The ergonomic design and low vibration levels are frequently mentioned as factors that make the 272 XP comfortable to operate, even during long hours of use.
- Maintenance: Users appreciate the easy access to the air filter and adjustable oil pump, which simplify routine maintenance tasks and keep the chainsaw running smoothly.
- Fuel Efficiency: The X-Torq engine technology is recognized for its fuel efficiency, reducing operating costs and environmental impact.
While the Husqvarna 272 XP is a powerhouse in its own right, it’s essential to explore some alternatives that may suit your needs or budget better. Here are a few chainsaws worth considering:
- STIHL MS 391: Stihl is another reputable brand known for its high-quality chainsaws. The MS 391 offers similar power and durability, making it a strong contender in the professional chainsaw category.
- Echo CS-590: Echo’s CS-590 is known for its robust performance and competitive pricing. It’s an excellent option for those seeking a reliable chainsaw without breaking the bank.
- Husqvarna 372 XP: If you’re looking for even more power and capacity, the Husqvarna 372 XP is a step up from the 272 XP. It’s suitable for heavy-duty forestry and logging tasks.
- Husqvarna 455 Rancher: For homeowners and occasional users, the 455 Rancher offers a good balance of power and affordability. It’s versatile and well-suited for a range of cutting tasks around the property.
The Husqvarna 272 XP chainsaw is a testament to Husqvarna’s commitment to delivering high-quality, dependable tools for professionals and serious enthusiasts. Its powerful X-Torq engine, low-vibration design, and user-friendly features make it a top choice for demanding cutting tasks.
While it may come with a premium price tag, the 272 XP’s performance, durability, and fuel efficiency justify the investment for those who rely on chainsaws for their livelihoods. However, it’s essential to consider your specific needs and budget when choosing a chainsaw, as there are alternatives available that may better suit your circumstances.
In the end, the Husqvarna 272 XP is a trusted companion for arborists, loggers, and homeowners seeking a reliable and efficient chainsaw for tackling the toughest cutting jobs.
Is the Husqvarna 272 XP suitable for beginners?
While the 272 XP is known for its performance, it may be more than what beginners need. Novice users might find smaller and more affordable models from Husqvarna or other brands to be better suited to their needs.
Can I use the Husqvarna 272 XP in cold weather?
The Husqvarna 272 XP G version comes with a heated handle, making it a good choice for cold weather operation. However, it’s essential to follow proper safety precautions in extreme conditions.
What types of chains and bars are compatible with the 272 XP?
The compatibility of chains and bars may vary depending on the specific model and version of the 272 XP. Refer to the user manual or contact your local Husqvarna dealer for precise information on compatible accessories.
How often should I perform maintenance on the Husqvarna 272 XP?
Regular maintenance is crucial for the longevity and optimal performance of your chainsaw. Follow the maintenance schedule outlined in the user manual, and always inspect your chainsaw before and after each use.
Can I use the Husqvarna 272 XP for professional logging tasks?
Yes, the Husqvarna 272 XP is designed for professional use and is well-suited for various logging tasks. However, for extremely heavy-duty logging, you may consider the Husqvarna 372 XP or other models with higher power output.