Power, precision, and reliability – these are the qualities that define the legendary Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw. Whether you’re a seasoned lumberjack or a weekend warrior tackling backyard projects, the Husqvarna 55 Rancher has long been a trusted companion for those who demand the best from their outdoor power equipment. In this article, we’ll delve deep into the world of the Husqvarna 55 Rancher, exploring its rich history, cutting-edge features, and its unmatched reputation in the world of chainsaws. Join us on a journey through the evolution of this iconic tool and discover why it continues to be the go-to choice for professionals and enthusiasts alike.
Husqvarna 55 Rancher Versions
The Husqvarna 55 Rancher was available in several different versions and variations to cater to various user needs and preferences. These versions might include differences in bar length, engine power, and other features. Some common variants of the Husqvarna 55 Rancher included:
- Husqvarna 55 Rancher 18-inch: This version typically came with an 18-inch bar and chain, making it suitable for a wide range of cutting tasks, from felling small to medium-sized trees to limbing and bucking.
- Husqvarna 55 Rancher 20-inch: Some models featured a longer 20-inch bar and chain, offering greater cutting capacity and versatility, making it ideal for larger trees and more extensive projects.
- Husqvarna 55 Rancher EPA: In compliance with environmental regulations, there were versions of the Husqvarna 55 Rancher designed to meet EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) emissions standards, ensuring reduced emissions while maintaining performance.
- Husqvarna 55 Rancher XP: The “XP” designation in some models indicated a higher-performance version, often with additional features like improved engine performance and ergonomics.
Husqvarna 55 Rancher Features
The Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw is known for its robust set of features, which contribute to its popularity among both homeowners and professionals. Here are the key features of the Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw without including specifications:
- Durable Build: The 55 Rancher is built to withstand heavy use and is known for its durability. It can handle tough cutting tasks.
- Powerful Engine: Equipped with a powerful 2-stroke gasoline engine, this chainsaw provides ample power for cutting through various types of wood.
- LowVib® Vibration Damping: This feature reduces vibration levels, making it more comfortable to use for extended periods and reducing operator fatigue.
- Chain Brake: The inertia-activated chain brake enhances safety by stopping the chain’s rotation in the event of a kickback or other sudden movements.
- Side-Mounted Chain Tensioner: The side-mounted chain tensioner makes it easy to adjust the chain tension quickly, ensuring optimal cutting performance.
- Air Injection: The air injection system helps extend the life of the air filter, reducing maintenance requirements and improving engine performance.
- Easy Start: The Husqvarna 55 Rancher is designed for easy starting, reducing the effort required to get the engine running.
- Bar and Chain Options: It offers multiple bar length options, allowing users to choose the one that suits their specific cutting needs.
- Carburetor Design: Equipped with a Walbro carburetor, this chainsaw is designed for efficient fuel delivery and smooth operation.
- User-Friendly Design: The chainsaw is designed with user comfort in mind, featuring an ergonomic handle and controls that are easy to access and operate.
- Recommended Fuel Mix Ratio: It has a recommended fuel mix ratio of 50:1 (Gasoline to 2-Stroke Oil) for proper engine lubrication.
- Limited Warranty: The Husqvarna 55 Rancher typically comes with a limited warranty, providing peace of mind to users in case of any manufacturing defects.
These features collectively make the Husqvarna 55 Rancher a versatile and reliable chainsaw suitable for various cutting tasks, including tree felling, firewood cutting, and general maintenance work.
Husqvarna 55 Rancher Specs
Here are the specifications for the Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw with Imperial units in one column and Metric units in the second column:
|Specification||Imperial Units||Metric Units|
|Engine Type||2-Stroke Gasoline||2-Stroke Gasoline|
|Engine Displacement||3.39 cubic inches||55.5 cc|
|Cylinder Bore||1.81 inches||46 mm|
|Cylinder Stroke||1.26 inches||32 mm|
|Maximum Power Output||3.49 horsepower||3.49 HP|
|Maximum Speed (RPM)||9000 RPM||9000 RPM|
|Idle Speed (RPM)||2700 RPM||2700 RPM|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||0.24 gallons||0.9 liters|
|Oil Tank Capacity||0.13 gallons||0.5 liters|
|Bar Length Options||18 inches||45.72 cm|
|20 inches||50.8 cm|
|Chain Pitch Options||3/8 inch||9.525 mm|
|Chain Gauge Options||0.058 inch||1.47 mm|
|Weight (Without Bar and Chain)||Approximately 12.1 lbs||Approximately 5.5 kg|
|Ignition System||Electronic CDI||Electronic CDI|
|Air Filter Type||Nylon Mesh||Nylon Mesh|
|Chain Brake Type||Inertia-Activated||Inertia-Activated|
|Vibration Damping System||Yes, LowVib®||Yes, LowVib®|
|Chain Tensioning System||Side-Mounted Chain Tensioner||Side-Mounted Chain Tensioner|
|Recommended Fuel Mix Ratio||50:1 (Gasoline to 2-Stroke Oil)||50:1 (Gasoline to 2-Stroke Oil)|
|Maximum Sound Level||102 dB(A)||102 dB(A)|
|Warranty||Limited 2 Years for Consumers||Limited 2 Years for Consumers|
|Limited 90 Days for Commercial Use||Limited 90 Days for Commercial Use|
This table provides the specifications for the Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw with both Imperial and Metric units for easier reference.
Husqvarna 55 Rancher Price
Prices for products can vary significantly based on factors such as location, condition, availability, and market fluctuations.
The price of the Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw when it was still being sold as a new product would have depended on the seller, location, and any ongoing promotions or discounts. It’s essential to check with authorized Husqvarna dealers, retail stores, or online marketplaces for the most current pricing information.
Regarding aftermarket or used values, these can also vary widely depending on factors such as the chainsaw’s age, condition, maintenance history, and demand in the secondhand market. To find the current aftermarket value for a used Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw, you may want to check online marketplaces, classified ads, or contact local sellers who deal in used outdoor equipment.
Husqvarna 55 Rancher Review
Here’s a concise summary of what users commonly mentioned about the Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw:
- Strong and reliable performance
- Durable and built to last
- Reduced vibrations for comfort
- Relatively easy to start
- Some found it relatively easy to maintain
- Heavier weight
- Can be fuel-thirsty
- Noisy operation
- Some users found chain tensioning slightly challenging
- Higher price compared to some alternatives
Husqvarna 55 Rancher Alternatives
There were several alternatives to the Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw from various manufacturers. These alternatives catered to a range of needs and preferences, and they included:
- STIHL MS 271: Chainsaw is known for its power and durability. It’s a popular choice for similar tasks as the Husqvarna 55 Rancher, such as cutting firewood and general property maintenance.
- Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf: Another strong competitor known for its power and performance. It’s suitable for demanding cutting tasks and comes with various bar length options.
- Husqvarna 455 Rancher: If you’re considering Husqvarna but want an alternative model, this is one. It’s a step down in terms of power compared to the Husqvarna 55 Rancher but is still a reliable choice for homeowners.
- Makita EA4300F40B: Makita offers a range of high-quality chainsaws, and the EA4300F40B is one of them. It’s known for its low emissions and fuel efficiency, making it an environmentally friendly choice.
- Jonsered CS2245: Jonsered, a brand under the Husqvarna Group, offers the CS2245, which is a mid-range chainsaw suitable for various cutting tasks.
- Poulan Pro PR5020: The Poulan Pro PR5020 is a budget-friendly option that still offers decent performance for typical homeowner needs.
- Husqvarna 450 Rancher: Another alternative from Husqvarna is the 450 Rancher, which is designed for homeowners who need a reliable chainsaw for occasional use.
When considering alternatives, it’s essential to assess your specific needs, budget, and preferences, and to check for the latest models and user reviews to make an informed decision. Additionally, always prioritize safety and proper maintenance when using any chainsaw.
In conclusion, the Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw has firmly established itself as a reliable and powerful tool for a wide range of cutting tasks. Its robust construction and 2-stroke gasoline engine deliver the kind of performance that both homeowners and professionals seek in a chainsaw.
One of its standout features is the incorporation of LowVib® technology, which reduces vibrations, enhancing user comfort during prolonged use. This, combined with its relatively easy starting mechanism, makes it an accessible choice for operators of varying skill levels.
However, potential buyers should take note of its weight and consider whether it aligns with their intended usage, especially for extended cutting sessions. Additionally, while its performance is robust, it’s essential to follow safety guidelines rigorously, given the inherent risks associated with chainsaw operation.
The Husqvarna 55 Rancher offers flexibility with bar length options, ensuring that it can tackle a variety of tasks from cutting firewood to felling medium to large trees. Its compatibility with a range of bar and chain sizes allows users to adapt it to their specific needs.
Finally, the chainsaw’s longevity and continued performance hinge on regular maintenance, as outlined in the owner’s manual. This commitment to proper care ensures that the Husqvarna 55 Rancher remains a reliable tool season after season.
While the chainsaw landscape has evolved since the introduction of the Husqvarna 55 Rancher, this model has left a lasting legacy as a dependable workhorse, and its reputation among users endures as a testament to its enduring value in the world of chainsaws.
Husqvarna 55 Rancher FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw may cover a range of topics related to its use, maintenance, and specifications. Here are some common FAQs:
- How do I start the Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw?
- To start the chainsaw, follow the manufacturer’s instructions in the owner’s manual. Generally, you’ll need to engage the chain brake, set the choke, prime the engine, and pull the starter cord.
- What type of fuel should I use with the Husqvarna 55 Rancher?
- The manufacturer typically recommends using a mixture of gasoline and 2-stroke engine oil in a 50:1 ratio (50 parts gasoline to 1 part oil). Use high-quality, unleaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 89.
- How often should I perform maintenance on the chainsaw?
- Regular maintenance is essential for the chainsaw’s performance and longevity. This includes cleaning the air filter, checking and adjusting the chain tension, and inspecting for loose or damaged parts. Consult the owner’s manual for a maintenance schedule.
- What type of bar and chain should I use with the Husqvarna 55 Rancher?
- The chainsaw is compatible with various bar lengths, typically 18 inches and 20 inches. Ensure you use the recommended bar and chain specifications (pitch and gauge) for optimal performance.
- How can I reduce vibration when using the chainsaw for extended periods?
- The Husqvarna 55 Rancher features LowVib® vibration damping technology, which helps reduce vibration. Additionally, using anti-vibration gloves and maintaining proper cutting techniques can further minimize discomfort.
- What safety precautions should I take when using the chainsaw?
- Always wear appropriate safety gear, including protective eyewear, hearing protection, gloves, and chainsaw chaps or pants. Follow safe cutting practices, and be aware of the kickback risk associated with chainsaws.
- How do I tension the chain on the Husqvarna 55 Rancher?
- The chainsaw typically has a side-mounted chain tensioner. Consult the owner’s manual for detailed instructions on how to adjust the chain tension properly.
- Can I use the chainsaw for felling large trees?
- The Husqvarna 55 Rancher is suitable for felling medium to large trees, but it’s essential to have the necessary skills, experience, and safety equipment for such tasks. Always prioritize safety when working with trees.
- What is the warranty for the Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw?
- The warranty for the chainsaw may vary by region and retailer. It’s important to check the specific warranty terms provided by the manufacturer or authorized dealers.
- Where can I purchase replacement parts and accessories for the chainsaw?
- You can typically purchase replacement parts and accessories for the Husqvarna 55 Rancher from authorized Husqvarna dealers, online retailers, or directly from the manufacturer’s website.
These are some of the frequently asked questions related to the Husqvarna 55 Rancher chainsaw. Always refer to the owner’s manual and consult with authorized dealers or customer support for specific and up-to-date information.