The STIHL 024 is the first chainsaw to feature the Quickstop automatic chain brake. The 024 is part of a “new generation” of STIHL professional chainsaws that set new benchmarks with their excellent power-to-weight ratio, ergonomic design, and high safety standards, yet are easy to use and maintain.
It first started production in 1982 and was later replaced by the MS 241.
In this article, I’ll lay out an overview of the saw, describe the specs and show you where you can get parts.
Stihl 024 Chainsaw
The 025 was an entry-level saw for the mid-professional category. Nowadays you can get a second-hand one for a good price but beware of the increased difficulty of finding parts and making sure the saw is in good condition.
The most common guide bar for the 024 is a 16” one, but anything between 16” to 20” goes.
The saw is suitable for processing firewood, dropping mid-sized trees, and clearing land.
Stihl 024 Specs
|Model||Displacement||Weight||Power||Performance weight||Recommended bar length||Electronic ignition system||Catalytic converter (CAT)||Elastostart||Decompression valve||Compensator|
|Stihl 024 WB||16.4 in3|
|Stihl 026||19.2 in3|
|Stihl 026 C||19.2 in3|
|Stihl 036||24.2 in3|
|Stihl 036 QS||24.2 in3|
|Stihl 044||27.8 in3|
|Stihl 044 C||27.8 in3|
|Stihl 046||30.1 in3|
|Stihl 046 C||30.1 in3|
The table above shows a comparison of the Stihl chainsaws in the same category from back in the day. You can see that the 024 is the least powerful of them all.
If you want to find current alternatives to the 024, I’ll cover that in the alternatives section of this article.
Note: Exact specifications can vary depending on when and where the chainsaw was manufactured, and whether or not it’s had any aftermarket work done on it. This is also the case for most models.
Stihl 024 Features
- Oilomatic Saw Chain – A loop consisting of cutters, tie straps, and drive links
- Guide bar – Supports and guides the saw chain
- Guide bar nose – The exposed end of the guide bar
- Bumper spike – Toothed stop for holding saw steady against wood
- Chain brake – A device to stop the rotation of the chain if activated in a kickback situation by the operator’s hand or by inertia
- Front hand guard – Provides protection against projecting branches and helps prevent the left hand from touching the chain if it slips off the handlebar
- Front handle – Handlebar for the left hand in front of the saw
- Shroud fastener – For fastening the shroud
- Spark plug terminal – Connects the spark plug with the ignition wire
- Handle heating switch – For switching the electric handle heating on and off
- Rear handle – The support handle for the right hand, located at or toward the rear of the saw
- Rear hand guard – Gives added protection to the operator’s right hand
- Chain sprocket – The toothed wheel that drives the saw chain
- Chain catcher – Helps to reduce the risk of operator contact by a chain when it brakes or comes off the bar
- Chain sprocket cover – Covers the clutch and the sprocket
- Twist lock – Lock for the carburetor box cover
- Safety throttle lock – Must be depressed before the throttle trigger can be activated
- Throttle trigger – Lock for the carburetor box cover
- Master control lever – Lever for choke control, starting throttle, run and stop switch position
- Chain guard (scabbard) – Covers the bar and the chain when the saw isn’t in use
- Muffler – Reduces engine exhaust noise and directs the exhaust gases
- Starter grip – The grip of the starter, for starting the engine
- Oil filter cap – For closing the oil tank
- Fuel filter cap – For closing the fuel tank
Stihl 024 Price and Parts
Since you can only buy the 024 second-hand, it’s hard to give you a specific price.
Factors such as condition, how much the owner values it, or needs the money from the sale play a part. The price can range from $50 to $250.
So how hard is it to find parts?
Similarly to price, this is also hard to tell, you may be lucky and get what you need on day one, or be looking for a few weeks. But the 026 was a very popular chainsaw, so there will be a decent amount of sellers with parts.
You can look for parts on these websites:
- eBay – original and aftermarket parts, as well as the whole 026 chainsaws
- Amazon – a lot of aftermarket parts
- HL Supply – a great range of parts for all chainsaws
- Sears Parts Direct – may or may not have parts for the 026
Another good spot to ask around are local Facebook groups.
Stihl 024 Review
The Stihl 024 delivers on its promise. It’s simple yet effective. It has a lot of safety features and it’s a great tool for the average guy doing stuff around his house.
- Enough power for the average user
- Low price when bought second-hand
- Doesn’t have the modern features
- Difficulty finding parts
Stihl 024 Alternatives
Here are a few modern saws, that are similar in category to the 024.
- Stihl MS 241 – The replacement from Stihl
- Stihl MS 251 – A step from the MS 241
- Husqvarna 543 XP – Husqvarna alternative