Looking for a powerful, reliable chainsaw for heavy-duty cutting tasks? The Stihl 028 may have been discontinued, but it remains a popular choice for both home and professional users. With its durable construction, easy maintenance, and range of useful features, it’s no wonder why the Stihl 028 has earned a loyal following over the years. But if you’re looking for an alternative to the Stihl 028, there are several options on the market, such as the Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf, Poulan Pro PR5020, Makita EA6100PRGG, and newer Stihl models like the MS 271. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the features and specifications of the Stihl 028, as well as explore some of the most popular alternatives available today. Plus, we’ll answer some of the most frequently asked questions about the Stihl 028 to help you determine if this chainsaw is the right choice for your needs.
STIHL 028 Versions
Over the years, Stihl has produced several versions of the popular 028 chainsaw. Here are some of the different versions of the Stihl 028 that have been available:
- Stihl 028 AV (1977-1998): The original Stihl 028 AV was introduced in 1977 and remained in production until 1998. It was a popular model among homeowners and professionals alike, thanks to its power and durability.
- Stihl 028 AV Super (1983-1998): In 1983, Stihl introduced the 028 AV Super, which featured a more powerful engine than the original 028 AV. It also had a larger fuel tank and an improved air filtration system.
- Stihl 028 WB (1987-1998): The Stihl 028 WB (Wood Boss) was introduced in 1987 and was designed specifically for cutting wood. It featured a larger chain bar and an improved vibration-dampening system, making it easier to use for extended periods.
- Stihl 028 AV Wood Boss (1998-2003): In 1998, Stihl released an updated version of the 028 AV Wood Boss. This model featured a redesigned air filter system, improved vibration dampening, and a larger fuel tank.
- Stihl MS 280 C-BQ (2003-2011): The Stihl MS 280 C-BQ was introduced in 2003 and was essentially a modernized version of the 028 AV Wood Boss. It featured Stihl’s Quick Chain Adjuster system and an improved anti-vibration system.
- Stihl MS 280 (2011-2013): In 2011, Stihl replaced the MS 280 C-BQ with the MS 280, which featured improved fuel efficiency and reduced emissions.
It’s worth noting that while the Stihl 028 is no longer in production, many of these models are still available on the used market and can be a great choice for those in need of a powerful and reliable chainsaw.
STIHL 028 Features
The Stihl 028 chainsaw was a popular model among professionals and homeowners for its power, durability, and ease of use. Here are some of the key features that made the Stihl 028 a standout chainsaw:
- Power and performance: The Stihl 028 was powered by a two-stroke engine that delivered plenty of power for cutting through thick branches and trees. Its carburetor was designed for optimal fuel efficiency and performance, while its centrifugal clutch made it easy to start and use for extended periods of time.
- Durability and reliability: The Stihl 028 was built to withstand heavy use and regular wear and tear. Its engine was designed to handle a variety of cutting tasks without overheating or breaking down, while its body was made from high-quality materials that could stand up to abuse.
- Ease of use: Despite its power and durability, the Stihl 028 was also designed with ease of use in mind. It was lightweight and well-balanced, making it easy to maneuver while cutting through thick branches and trees. Its handles were also comfortable to grip, reducing hand fatigue during extended use.
- Maintenance: The Stihl 028 was designed for easy maintenance. Its air filter and spark plug were easily accessible and could be replaced in just a few minutes. Its fuel and oil tanks were also designed for easy filling, reducing the likelihood of spills and messes.
- Safety features: The Stihl 028 was equipped with several safety features, including a chain brake that could be activated in the event of a kickback. It also had a throttle lockout that prevented accidental engagement of the throttle, reducing the risk of injury.
In summary, the Stihl 028 was a powerful and reliable chainsaw that was also easy to use and maintain. Its durability and safety features made it a popular choice among professionals and homeowners alike, and it remained a favorite for many years.
STIHL 028 Specs
|Stihl 028 AV||Stihl 028 AV Super||Stihl 028 WB||Stihl 028 AV Wood Boss||Stihl MS 280 C-BQ||Stihl MS 280|
|Engine Size (cc)||45||46||46||46||46||46|
|Power Output (hp)||3.5||4.0||3.8||4.0||3.5||3.7|
|Bar Length Options (in)||13-20||13-20||13-20||13-20||16-20||16-20|
|Fuel Capacity (oz)||21.2||23.6||25.4||25.4||23.7||23.7|
|Oil Capacity (oz)||13.5||13.5||13.5||13.5||13.5||13.5|
|Chain Pitch (in)||3/8||3/8||3/8||3/8||3/8||3/8|
|Chain Gauge (in)||.050||.050||.050||.050||.050||.050|
In this table, the models are listed as columns and the specifications are listed as rows. Again, please note that these specifications are subject to change depending on the year of manufacture and other factors.
STIHL 028 Price
The price of a Stihl 028 chainsaw can vary depending on several factors such as the condition of the saw, whether it’s new or used, and the location of purchase. Additionally, since the Stihl 028 is no longer in production, the availability and price can also depend on the rarity of the model and the demand in the market.
As a general guideline, a used Stihl 028 in good condition can cost anywhere from $200 to $400, while a new or refurbished model can cost upwards of $600 or more. However, it’s important to note that prices can vary widely depending on the specific model, location, and condition of the saw.
It’s always best to research the market and compare prices from different sellers before making a purchase to ensure that you’re getting the best value for your money. Additionally, it’s important to consider factors such as the saw’s maintenance history, warranty, and other features before making a decision.
STIHL 028 Review
There are many opinions and reviews from users regarding the Stihl 028 chainsaw. Here are some common themes that users have mentioned:
- Durability: Many users praise the Stihl 028 for its durability and reliability, citing the saw’s ability to withstand heavy use and tough conditions.
- Power: Users have also commented on the saw’s power and ability to handle larger cutting jobs. Many users appreciate the saw’s ability to quickly cut through thick logs and branches.
- Ease of use: Several users have mentioned that the Stihl 028 is easy to operate and maneuver, which makes it a great option for both experienced and novice users.
- Maintenance: Users have noted that the Stihl 028 requires regular maintenance, including oil changes and sharpening the chain, to keep it running smoothly. However, many users have commented that the saw’s maintenance requirements are relatively simple and straightforward.
- Noise and vibration: Some users have mentioned that the Stihl 028 can be noisy and vibrate heavily during use, which can be tiring for extended periods of use.
Overall, the Stihl 028 has received positive reviews from users for its power, durability, and ease of use. However, it’s important to note that individual experiences may vary depending on factors such as maintenance and usage habits.
STIHL 028 Alternatives
If you’re looking for an alternative to the Stihl 028 chainsaw, there are several options on the market. Here are some popular alternatives that you may want to consider:
- Husqvarna 455 Rancher: The Husqvarna 455 Rancher is a popular chainsaw that is similar in size and power to the Stihl 028. It features a 55.5cc engine, a 20-inch bar, and a range of features designed to make it easy to use and maintain.
- Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf: The Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf is another powerful chainsaw that is suitable for heavy-duty cutting tasks. It features a 59.8cc engine, a 20-inch bar, and a range of user-friendly features.
- Poulan Pro PR5020: The Poulan Pro PR5020 is a more affordable option that still offers a powerful engine and a range of useful features. It features a 50cc engine, a 20-inch bar, and a range of safety and convenience features.
- Makita EA6100PRGG: The Makita EA6100PRGG is a professional-grade chainsaw that is designed for heavy-duty use. It features a 61cc engine, a 20-inch bar, and a range of user-friendly features.
- Stihl MS 271: If you’re a fan of the Stihl brand but want a newer model, the Stihl MS 271 is a great option. It features a 50.2cc engine, a range of safety features, and a range of bar length options.
Each of these chainsaws has its own unique set of features and benefits, so it’s important to research each model to find the one that best meets your needs and budget.
STIHL 028 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Here are some frequently asked questions about the Stihl 028 chainsaw:
Is the Stihl 028 still in production?
No, the Stihl 028 is no longer in production. It was replaced by newer models, such as the MS 271 and MS 291.
What type of fuel does the Stihl 028 use?
The Stihl 028 uses a two-cycle gasoline-powered engine, which requires a mixture of gasoline and oil to operate.
What is the recommended bar length for the Stihl 028?
The recommended bar length for the Stihl 028 is between 16 and 20 inches, depending on the specific model and usage requirements.
What is the weight of the Stihl 028?
The weight of the Stihl 028 can vary depending on the specific model and bar length. However, on average, the saw weighs between 10 and 12 pounds.
How often does the Stihl 028 need maintenance?
The Stihl 028 requires regular maintenance, including oil changes, chain sharpening, and air filter cleaning, to keep it running smoothly. The exact maintenance schedule will depend on usage and other factors, but in general, it’s recommended to perform maintenance tasks after every use or every few uses.
Can the Stihl 028 be used for professional purposes?
Yes, the Stihl 028 is a powerful and durable chainsaw that is suitable for both home and professional use. However, it’s important to ensure that the specific model and bar length are suitable for the job at hand.
Is the Stihl 028 a good chainsaw for beginners?
The Stihl 028 can be a good option for beginners, as it is relatively easy to use and maintain. However, it’s important to receive proper training and safety instructions before operating any chainsaw.