The STIHL 090 is a powerful chain saw that was produced by the German company STIHL in the 1960s and 1970s. It was designed for heavy-duty use in forestry and lumbering and is capable of cutting through even the toughest of woods.
One of the key features of the STIHL 090 is its large displacement engine, which allows it to generate a lot of power. It has a displacement of 112.6 cc, which is much larger than many other chain saws on the market. This makes it well-suited for tackling large trees and cutting through thick logs.
In addition to its powerful engine, the STIHL 090 also has a number of other features that make it a highly effective tool. It has a long, 20-inch bar that allows it to make deep cuts and reach high into trees. It also has a sturdy and durable construction, with a high-quality chain and a rugged, reinforced casing.
Despite its impressive power and capabilities, the STIHL 090 is actually quite easy to use. It has a smooth, reliable starting system, and its controls are intuitive and easy to access. It is also well-balanced and comfortable to hold, which makes it easier to use for long periods of time.
In conclusion, the STIHL 090 is a top-of-the-line chain saw that is well-suited for heavy-duty forestry and lumbering tasks. Its powerful engine, long bar, and durable construction make it a reliable and effective tool, and its easy-to-use design makes it a pleasure to operate. If you need a powerful chainsaw for your forestry or lumbering needs, the STIHL 090 is definitely worth considering.
STIHL 090 Features
- Oilomatic saw chain – a loop consisting of cutters, tie straps and drive links.
- Guide bar – supports and guides the saw chain.
- Guide bar nose – the exposed part of the guide bar.
- Front hand guard – provides protection against projecting branches and helps prevent the left hand from touching the chain if it slips off the handlebar.
- Front handle – handlebar for the left hand at front of the saw.
- Spark plug terminal – connects the spark plug with the ignition wire.
- Filter cover lock – for removing the filter cover, permits the filter to be cleaned.
- Rear handle – the support handle for the right hand, located at or toward the rear of the saw.
- Oil filler cap – for closing the oil tank.
- Stop switch – switches the engine’s ignition system off and stops the running of the engine.
- Oil hand pump – for additional manual chain lubrication.
- Oil inspection window – for controlling the chain oil level.
- Bumper spike – toothed stop for holding saw steady against the wood.
- Clutch – couples engine to chain sprocket when the engine is accelerated beyond idle speed.
- Chain catcher – catches a broken chain and guides it inside the chain sprocket cover.
- Chain sprocket – the toothed wheel that drives the saw chain.
- Chain sprocket cover – cover the clutch and the sprocket.
- Choke lever – eases engine starting by enriching the mixture.
- Starting throttle lock – keeps the throttle partially open during starting.
- Safety throttle lock – must be depressed before activating the throttle trigger.
- Throttle trigger – controls the speed of the engine.
- Chain guard (scabbard) – protects the operator from touching the chain.
- Decompression valve – makes starting easier.
- Muffler – attenuates exhaust noises and diverts exhaust gases in the required direction.
- Starter grip – the grip of the pull starter, which is the device to start the engine.
- Fuel filler cap – for closing the fuel tank.
STIHL 090 Specs
|STIHL 090, STIHL 090 AV||STIHL 090 G|
|Engine||STIHL single-cylinder two-stroke engine|
|Displacement||8.36 cu. in. (137 cm3)||6.36 cu. in. (106 cm3)|
|Bore||2.6” (66 mm)||2.3” (58 mm)|
|Stroke||1.57” (40 mm)||1.57” (40 mm)|
|Type||Flywheel magneto||Flywheel magneto|
|Ignition timing||0.114-0.122” (2.9-3.1 mm)||0.013-0.018” (0.35-0.45 mm)|
|Breaker point gap||0.013-0.018” (0.35-0.45 mm)||0.013-0.018” (0.35-0.45 mm)|
|Spark plug||Bosch WSR 6 F; Champion RCJ6 Y||Bosch WSR 6 F; Champion RCJ 6 Y|
|Fuel system||All-position diaphragm carburetor|
|Fuel capacity||2.5 US pt (1.2 l)||2.5 US pt (1.2 l)|
|Air filter||Flocked wire mesh element||Flocked wire mesh element|
|Fuel mixture||Mix ratio 1:25 with SAE 30||Mix ratio 1:25 with SAE 30|
|Bar lengths||20, 25, 30, 35, 41, 47, 59” (53, 63, 75, 90, 105, 120, 150 cm)||35, 41, 47, 59 in (90, 105, 120, 150 cm)|
|Chain||0.404” (10.26 mm) and ½” (12.7 mm) pitch||½” (12.7 mm) pitch|
|Chain sprocket||6 and 7-tooth||6-tooth|
|Chain lubrication||Fully automatic with oil feed control and supplementary, unit-mounted hand pump||Fully automatic with oil feed control and supplementary, unit-mounted hand pump|
|Oil capacity||1.1 US pt (0.53 l)||1.1 US pt (0.53 l)|
|Weights||090 approx. 30.6 lbs (13.9 kg)090 AV approx. 32.2 lbs (14.6 kg)||Approx 37.1 lbs (16.8 kg)|
|Lubrication||HD SAE 30 engine oil|
|Oil capacity||0.32 US pt (0.15 l)|
STIHL 090 Price
It is difficult to provide an accurate estimate of the cost of a STIHL 090 chain saw as it is a vintage model that is no longer in production. Additionally, the cost of vintage power tools can vary widely depending on factors such as their condition, rarity, and demand.
If you are interested in purchasing a STIHL 090 chain saw, you may be able to find one for sale through online marketplaces or at vintage power tool dealers. You may also be able to find one at a garage sale or at an antique shop. Prices for these vintage chain saws can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars, depending on their condition and other factors.
It is important to note that purchasing a vintage chain saw, such as the STIHL 090, can come with some risks. These saws may not be as reliable as newer models, and they may require more maintenance and repairs. Additionally, they may not meet current safety standards. If you do decide to purchase a vintage chain saw, be sure to carefully inspect it for any signs of wear or damage, and consider having it serviced by a professional before using it.
STIHL 090 Review
As the STIHL 090 is a vintage model that is no longer in production, it may be difficult to find reviews or user experiences with this specific chain saw. However, it is likely that users of the STIHL 090 found it to be a powerful and reliable tool for heavy-duty forestry and lumbering tasks.
The STIHL 090’s large displacement engine, long bar, and durable construction likely made it well-suited for tackling large trees and cutting through thick logs. Its smooth, reliable starting system and easy-to-use controls may have also made it a pleasure to operate.
It is important to note that user experiences with vintage power tools, including the STIHL 090, may vary widely. These tools may require more maintenance and repairs than newer models, and they may not meet current safety standards. If you do decide to use a vintage chain saw, it is important to carefully inspect it for any signs of wear or damage and to follow all safety precautions when operating it.