The Stihl MS 260 chainsaw is a popular choice among both professional and residential users alike. With its powerful performance, user-friendly design, and reliable durability, it has earned a reputation as a top-performing chainsaw in its class. In this article, we will explore the various features of the Stihl MS 260, including its power and cutting ability, safety features, and ease of use. We will also compare the Stihl MS 260 to some alternative chainsaws and address some frequently asked questions about this model, including its engine displacement, weight, and warranty. Whether you’re a professional arborist or a homeowner looking for a reliable and powerful chainsaw, the Stihl MS 260 is certainly worth considering.
STIHL MS 260 Versions
Over the years, Stihl has released different versions of the MS 260 chainsaw to cater to the varying needs and preferences of users. Here are some of the different versions of the Stihl MS 260:
- Stihl MS 260 – This is the original version of the MS 260 that was introduced in the early 2000s. It features a 3.0 kW engine and a 16-inch guide bar, making it suitable for a wide range of cutting tasks.
- Stihl MS 260 Pro – The MS 260 Pro is a more heavy-duty version of the original MS 260. It features a more powerful 3.2 kW engine and a larger 18-inch guide bar, making it suitable for more demanding tasks such as felling larger trees.
- Stihl MS 260 C-M – This version of the MS 260 features Stihl’s M-Tronic technology, which automatically adjusts the fuel and air mixture to ensure optimal engine performance. It also features a decompression valve for easier starting and a tool-free fuel cap for quick refueling.
- Stihl MS 260 R – The MS 260 R is a specialized version of the MS 260 designed for forestry work. It features a wrap-around handlebar for improved control and maneuverability, as well as a carburetor compensator to maintain consistent engine performance at high altitudes.
- Stihl MS 260 VW – The MS 260 VW is a variant of the MS 260 designed for use in vineyards. It features a special carburetor with a fuel pump that allows the chainsaw to be used at any angle without stalling.
Overall, the Stihl MS 260 has undergone various modifications and improvements to meet the different needs of its users. Whether you’re a professional logger or a homeowner looking for a reliable chainsaw, there is likely a version of the MS 260 that will suit your needs.
STIHL MS 260 Features
Here are some of the key features of the Stihl MS 260 chainsaw, without including specs:
- Easy to start – The MS 260 features an easy-to-use starting system that helps get the chainsaw up and running quickly and efficiently.
- Lightweight design – Despite its powerful engine, the MS 260 is relatively lightweight and easy to maneuver, making it suitable for a wide range of cutting tasks.
- Low vibration – The chainsaw is designed to minimize vibration during use, reducing operator fatigue and allowing for more comfortable operation.
- Ergonomic design – The MS 260 features an ergonomic design that promotes comfortable and safe use. Its handlebars are designed to provide a secure and comfortable grip.
- Automatic oiler – The chainsaw features an automatic oiler that helps keep the chain lubricated during use, reducing wear and tear and increasing the chainsaw’s lifespan.
- Easy chain adjustment – The MS 260 features an easy-to-use chain tensioner that makes it simple to adjust the tension of the chain without having to disassemble the chainsaw.
- High durability – The MS 260 is built to withstand heavy use and abuse, featuring a sturdy construction that can handle a variety of cutting tasks.
Overall, the Stihl MS 260 is a highly capable and user-friendly chainsaw that combines powerful performance with ease of use and durability.
STIHL MS 260 Specs
Sure! Here is a table comparing the specifications of the different versions of the Stihl MS 260 chainsaw:
|Specification||Stihl MS 260||Stihl MS 260 Pro||Stihl MS 260 C-M||Stihl MS 260 R||Stihl MS 260 VW|
|Engine Power||3.0 kW||3.2 kW||3.0 kW||3.0 kW||3.0 kW|
|Displacement||50.2 cc||50.2 cc||50.2 cc||50.2 cc||50.2 cc|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||0.47 L||0.47 L||0.47 L||0.47 L||0.47 L|
|Oil Tank Capacity||0.28 L||0.28 L||0.28 L||0.28 L||0.28 L|
|Bar Length||16-20 in.||18-20 in.||16-20 in.||16-20 in.||16-20 in.|
|Weight||4.9 kg||5.4 kg||5.4 kg||5.4 kg||5.4 kg|
|Chain Pitch||0.325 in.||0.325 in.||0.325 in.||0.325 in.||0.325 in.|
|Chain Gauge||0.063 in.||0.063 in.||0.063 in.||0.063 in.||0.063 in.|
|Carburetor||Walbro HD-34||Walbro HD-34||M-Tronic||Walbro HD-34||Zama C1Q-S91A|
|Handle Type||Rear Handle||Rear Handle||Rear Handle||Wrap-Around Handle||Rear Handle|
|Special Features||N/A||N/A||Tool-free fuel cap||N/A||Fuel pump for use at any angle|
Note that these specifications may vary slightly depending on the specific model and year of production. It is always important to consult the manufacturer’s documentation and specifications for accurate information.
STIHL MS 260 Price
The price of the Stihl MS 260 chainsaw can vary depending on the model, region, and retailer. The Stihl MS 260 chainsaw typically ranges in price from around $500 to $600 USD. It is always recommended to check with authorized Stihl dealers or online retailers to get the most accurate and up-to-date pricing information.
STIHL MS 260 Review
Overall, the Stihl MS 260 chainsaw has received positive reviews from users. Here are some common comments and feedback from users:
- Powerful performance – Many users are impressed with the power and cutting ability of the MS 260, particularly when it comes to tackling tough and challenging cutting tasks.
- Easy to use – Users appreciate the MS 260’s user-friendly design, which makes it easy to start, operate, and maintain. The chainsaw’s low vibration and ergonomic handlebars also make it comfortable to use for extended periods of time.
- Reliable and durable – Users frequently comment on the MS 260’s reliability and durability, with many saying that it has held up well over years of heavy use.
- Well-designed safety features – The MS 260’s safety features, such as its chain brake and throttle lock, are often praised by users as effective and well-designed.
- Good value for the price – Many users consider the MS 260 to be a good value for its price, particularly given its performance and durability.
Of course, as with any product, there are also some negative reviews and criticisms. Some users have reported issues with starting the chainsaw or with its performance in certain conditions. It is always important to carefully research and consider user reviews, as well as manufacturer specifications and recommendations when making a purchasing decision.
STIHL MS 260 Alternatives
If you’re considering the Stihl MS 260 chainsaw but want to explore some alternative options, here are a few models to consider:
- Husqvarna 455 Rancher – This chainsaw is similar in size and power to the Stihl MS 260, with a 55.5 cc engine and 18-20 inch bar length. It also features an ergonomic design, an air injection cleaning system, and low vibration levels.
- Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf – The Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf is a powerful chainsaw with a 59.8 cc engine and 18-20 inch bar length. It features a decompression valve for easy starting, an automatic oiler, and a dual-post chain brake for added safety.
- Makita EA6100PRGG – This chainsaw is slightly smaller than the Stihl MS 260, with a 61 cc engine and 18-inch bar length. However, it features a high power-to-weight ratio, an easy-access air filter, and a spring-assisted starter for easy starting.
- Poulan Pro PR5020 – The Poulan Pro PR5020 is an affordable alternative to the Stihl MS 260, with a 50 cc engine and 20-inch bar length. It features a super clean air filter system, an automatic oiler, and a simple pull-start system.
As with any power tool, it’s important to carefully research and compare models based on your specific needs and requirements. Factors to consider when comparing chainsaws might include engine power, bar length, safety features, price, and brand reputation.
STIHL MS 260 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the Stihl MS 260 chainsaw:
What is the engine displacement of the Stihl MS 260?
The Stihl MS 260 has an engine displacement of 50.2 ccs.
What is the maximum bar length that can be used with the Stihl MS 260?
The maximum bar length recommended for the Stihl MS 260 is 20 inches.
What is the weight of the Stihl MS 260?
The weight of the Stihl MS 260 varies depending on the model and specifications, but typically ranges from around 10 to 12 pounds.
Is the Stihl MS 260 suitable for professional use?
Yes, the Stihl MS 260 is a powerful and durable chainsaw that is often used by professional loggers and arborists.
Does the Stihl MS 260 have any safety features?
Yes, the Stihl MS 260 has several safety features, including a chain brake, throttle lock, and anti-vibration system.
Can the Stihl MS 260 be used for cutting down trees?
Yes, the Stihl MS 260 is a powerful chainsaw that is suitable for cutting down trees, as well as other cutting tasks such as pruning and limbing.
What is the warranty for the Stihl MS 260?
The warranty for the Stihl MS 260 varies depending on the region and retailer, but typically includes a one-year limited warranty for non-professional or residential use, and a 90-day limited warranty for professional or commercial use.