The Stihl MS 390 is a professional-grade chainsaw that is designed for both residential and commercial use. With its powerful 64.1 cc engine and 20-inch guide bar, the MS 390 can handle a variety of cutting tasks, from felling large trees to cutting firewood. It is a durable and reliable chainsaw that is built to withstand frequent use and harsh conditions. The MS 390 is also designed with user comfort in mind, featuring an anti-vibration system and ergonomic handle for reduced fatigue during extended use. Whether you are a professional logger or a homeowner looking for a powerful and efficient chainsaw, the Stihl MS 390 is a top contender for any cutting job.
STIHL MS 390 Versions
There are a few different versions of the Stihl MS 390 that have been released over the years. These versions may have different features or technical specifications, so it is important to understand the differences before making a purchase. Here are some of the most notable versions of the Stihl MS 390:
- Stihl MS 390 (original version) – This was the first version of the Stihl MS 390, released in 2004. It had a 64.1 cc engine with a power output of 4.4 horsepower, a fuel tank capacity of 18.6 fluid ounces, and an oil tank capacity of 11.2 fluid ounces. It also had a decompression valve to make starting easier and an adjustable oil pump.
- Stihl MS 390 (later version) – In 2012, Stihl released a new version of the MS 390 with some changes to the engine and other components. This version had a slightly smaller engine, with a displacement of 64.1 ccs and a power output of 3.9 horsepower. The fuel tank capacity was reduced to 13.9 fluid ounces, while the oil tank capacity remained the same. The later version also had an improved air filtration system and an updated carburetor.
- Stihl MS 391 – The Stihl MS 391 is essentially the successor to the MS 390, with a few key changes. It has a larger engine, with a displacement of 64.8 ccs and a power output of 4.4 horsepower. It also has a slightly larger fuel tank capacity of 15.9 fluid ounces and an updated air filtration system with a larger surface area.
- Stihl MS 390 Farm Boss – The Farm Boss is a version of the MS 390 that has been designed specifically for use in farm and ranch settings. It has a larger fuel tank capacity of 16.9 fluid ounces, as well as a wrap-around handle for improved control and maneuverability. The Farm Boss also comes with a longer guide bar, measuring 25 inches.
- Stihl MS 390 Magnum – The Magnum is a high-performance version of the MS 390 that has been designed for professional use. It has a larger engine with a displacement of 72.2 ccs and a power output of 4.8 horsepower. It also has a larger fuel tank capacity of 23.7 fluid ounces and an updated air filtration system with a larger surface area. The Magnum comes with a choice of guide bar lengths, ranging from 16 inches to 28 inches.
In summary, there are several versions of the Stihl MS 390 available, each with their own unique features and specifications. The original version of the MS 390 had a larger engine and fuel tank capacity, while later versions had some updates to the engine and air filtration system. The MS 391 is the successor to the MS 390, with a larger engine and updated air filtration system, while the Farm Boss and Magnum versions are designed for specific use cases.
STIHL MS 390 Features
The Stihl MS 390 is a high-performance chainsaw that is designed for both professional and home use. It comes with a range of features that make it easy to use and highly effective at cutting through wood and other materials. Here are some of the key features of the Stihl MS 390:
- Anti-vibration system: The MS 390 has an advanced anti-vibration system that reduces fatigue and makes it more comfortable to use for extended periods of time.
- Easy to start: The chainsaw has a decompression valve that makes starting easier, even in cold weather.
- Automatic oiling system: The MS 390 has an automatic oiling system that ensures the chain stays lubricated during use, which helps to prolong the life of the chain and reduce wear on the engine.
- Side-access chain tensioner: The chainsaw has a side-access chain tensioner that makes it easy to adjust the tension of the chain without having to remove the side cover.
- Quick-stop chain brake: The MS 390 has a quick-stop chain brake that can be activated in case of kickback or other safety issues.
- Lightweight and easy to handle: Despite its powerful engine, the MS 390 is relatively lightweight and easy to handle, which makes it ideal for use in a variety of settings.
- Durable construction: The chainsaw is built to last, with a high-quality construction that can withstand heavy use and frequent exposure to the elements.
Overall, the Stihl MS 390 is a reliable and effective chainsaw that is packed with features designed to make it easier and safer to use. Whether you are a professional logger or simply need a powerful tool for your home workshop, the MS 390 is a great choice.
STIHL MS 390 Specs
Sure, here is a table comparing the technical specifications of the different versions of the Stihl MS 390:
|Specifications||Stihl MS 390 (Original)||Stihl MS 390 (Later)||Stihl MS 391||Stihl MS 390 Farm Boss||Stihl MS 390 Magnum|
|Engine Displacement (cc)||64.1||64.1||64.8||64.1||72.2|
|Power Output (hp)||4.4||3.9||4.4||4.4||4.8|
|Fuel Tank Capacity (fl oz)||18.6||13.9||15.9||16.9||23.7|
|Oil Tank Capacity (fl oz)||11.2||11.2||13.5||11.2||13.5|
|Guide Bar Length (in)||16-25||16-25||16-25||25||16-28|
Note that there may be additional differences between the different models beyond what is listed in this table. Additionally, specifications may vary slightly depending on the country or region where the chainsaw was sold. This table is intended to provide a general overview of the technical differences between the various versions of the Stihl MS 390.
STIHL MS 390 Price
The price of the Stihl MS 390 varies depending on several factors, including the retailer, location, and any current promotions or discounts. The average price for a new Stihl MS 390 ranged from $499 to $549 USD.
However, it is important to note that prices may have changed since then and can also vary depending on the region and availability. Additionally, prices may also vary for different versions of the MS 390, such as the Farm Boss or Magnum models, which typically have a higher price point.
It is always recommended to check with local authorized Stihl dealers or online retailers for the most up-to-date pricing information on the Stihl MS 390.
STIHL MS 390 Review
There are many user reviews available online that provide insight into the performance and reliability of the Stihl MS 390 chainsaw. Here are some common themes and feedback that users have shared:
- Powerful and effective: Many users praise the MS 390 for its powerful engine and ability to quickly cut through wood and other materials. They also appreciate the high-quality construction and durability of the chainsaw.
- Easy to use: Users find the MS 390 to be easy to start, handle, and maintain. They also appreciate the anti-vibration system, which helps to reduce fatigue during extended use.
- Great for both home and professional use: Users who have purchased the MS 390 for home use appreciate its versatility and ability to handle a variety of cutting tasks. Professional users, such as loggers and arborists, also find the MS 390 to be an effective and reliable tool for their work.
- Some issues with oil leakage: Some users have reported issues with oil leakage from the chainsaw, particularly around the oil cap. However, this seems to be a relatively rare issue.
- Price: Some users find the MS 390 to be on the expensive side compared to other chainsaws on the market. However, many feel that the quality and performance justify the price.
Overall, the Stihl MS 390 has received positive reviews from many users who appreciate its power, reliability, and ease of use. However, as with any product, individual experiences may vary, and it is important to research and consider all factors before making a purchase decision.
STIHL MS 390 Alternatives
If you are considering purchasing a chainsaw and the Stihl MS 390 is not the right fit for you, there are several alternatives available from various brands. Here are some chainsaws that you may want to consider:
- Husqvarna 455 Rancher: The Husqvarna 455 Rancher is a popular alternative to the Stihl MS 390. It has a 55.5 cc engine, a 20-inch guide bar, and a maximum power speed of 9,000 RPM. It also has an ergonomic design and is suitable for both home and professional use.
- Echo CS-590: The Echo CS-590 is another option to consider. It has a 59.8 cc engine, a 20-inch guide bar, and a maximum power speed of 13,000 RPM. It also has an automatic oiler system and an anti-vibration handle to reduce fatigue during extended use.
- Makita EA6100PRGG: The Makita EA6100PRGG is a high-powered chainsaw with a 61 cc engine and a 20-inch guide bar. It also has a decompression valve for easier starting and a heavy-duty air filter system for improved performance and durability.
- Poulan Pro PR5020: The Poulan Pro PR5020 is a more affordable option that still offers powerful performance. It has a 50 cc engine, a 20-inch guide bar, and an automatic oiler system. It is also designed with an anti-vibration handle and a lightweight body for easier handling.
- Jonsered CS2255: The Jonsered CS2255 is a lightweight and easy-to-use chainsaw with a 55.5 cc engine and a 20-inch guide bar. It also has a forged three-piece crankshaft for increased durability and an adjustable oil pump for improved lubrication.
These are just a few of the alternatives to the Stihl MS 390 that you may want to consider. It is important to research and compares different chainsaws to find the one that best fits your needs and budget.
STIHL MS 390 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the Stihl MS 390 chainsaw:
What is the engine size of the Stihl MS 390?
The Stihl MS 390 has a 64.1 cc two-stroke engine.
What is the weight of the Stihl MS 390?
The weight of the Stihl MS 390 without the bar and chain is approximately 12.3 pounds (5.6 kg).
What is the maximum guide bar length for the Stihl MS 390?
The Stihl MS 390 is designed to work with guide bars between 16 to 20 inches in length.
What type of fuel should I use with the Stihl MS 390?
The Stihl MS 390 requires a fuel mixture of 50:1, which is a ratio of 2.6 ounces (76 ml) of two-stroke engine oil to one gallon (3.79 liters) of gasoline.
How do I start the Stihl MS 390?
To start the Stihl MS 390, first, make sure the saw is on a stable surface and the chain brake is engaged. Then, turn the master control lever to the cold start position and pull the starter rope until the engine fires. Once the engine is running, move the master control lever to the run position.
What is the warranty on the Stihl MS 390?
The Stihl MS 390 comes with a one-year limited warranty for commercial use and a two-year limited warranty for personal, and residential use. This warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and maintenance.
Can I use the Stihl MS 390 for professional use?
Yes, the Stihl MS 390 is designed for both home and professional use. It is a powerful chainsaw that can handle a variety of cutting tasks, including felling trees, limbing, and cutting firewood.
How often should I service the Stihl MS 390?
It is recommended to service the Stihl MS 390 every 50 hours of use or once a year, whichever comes first. This includes cleaning the air filter, checking the spark plug, and inspecting the chainsaw for any signs of wear or damage.